Carrot Ginger Soup
The taste of carrots with ginger is a sweet treat.
6 – 8
Lunch or Dinner
About this Recipe
By: HempNut Cookbook
In cooler weather, soup always fits the bill. This recipe is so tasty!
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil (or hempseed oil)
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- Sea Salt
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger – set aside juice extracted
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 4 cups diced carrots
- 1 cup peeled and diced butternut squash
- 5 cups spring or filtered water
- 1/2 cup shelled hempseed
- 1 to 2 scallions, thinly sliced on the diagonal
Step by Step Instructions
Place the oil in a soup pot. Add the onion and garlic and place over medium heat.
When the onion begins to sizzle, add a pinch of salt and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes.
Stir in the ginger juice and mirin and sauté for 1 minute.
Stir in the carrots and squash and sauté until shiny with oil. Add the water, cover and bring to a boil.
Reduce the heat to low and cook until the carrots are quite soft, about 40 minutes.
Season to taste with salt and simmer 5 minutes longer.
Transfer the soup to a food processor or food mill and purée until smooth.
Return to the soup pot and simmer 2 to 3 minutes.
To serve, spoon the soup into individual bowls and sprinkle with the hempseed and scallions.