A light strawberry smoothie is the perfect way to usher in a season of fresh produce and welcome warmer mornings. Hemp seeds take the place of nuts, creating a protein-rich smoothie that also provides a dose of Omega-3 fatty acids.
About this Recipe
By: Amy Chaplin
Hemp seeds, sometimes called hemp hearts, have a creamy texture that produces a smooth background for any seasonal fruits or berries. Their mild grassy flavor doesn’t overpower the delicate flavor of the strawberries and the banana gives just the right amount of sweetness for an any-time smoothie.
- 2 cups hulled strawberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 frozen banana, broken into pieces
- 1/2 cup filtered water (or unsweetened almond milk)
- 3 tablespoons hemp seeds (hemp hearts)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 handful ice (optional)
Step by Step Instructions
Place all ingredients in an upright blender and blend until completely smooth and creamy!
* For added flavor, try incorporating a pinch of cinnamon or a tablespoon of coconut butter.
* For more protein, add a scoop of vanilla or chocolate protein powder.
* For a sweeter result, replace the water with coconut water or sweetened almond milk.
* Start thinking about having one tomorrow!