Winter Squash Spread
This is the best cold-weather spread imaginable. I love it on muffins, cornbread, or simple morning toast.
About this Recipe
By: HempNut Cookbook
You will love this tasty spread!
- 2 cups diced winter squash, peeled and seeded (use acorn, butternut, or hokkaido)
- extra-virgin olive oil (or hempseed oil)
- barley malt
- sea salt
- generous pinch of ground cinnamon
- scant pinch of grated nutmeg
- 1/4 cup shelled hempseed (hemp hearts)
Step by Step Instructions
Preheat the oven to 350° F and lightly oil a 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
Place the squash cubes in a mixing bowl and drizzle generously with the oil and barley malt.
Season lightly with the salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Toss gently to coat.
Spread the seasoned squash cubes in the prepared baking dish and cover tightly with foil.
Bake 45 to 60 minutes or until the squash is quite soft.
Remove from the oven and let cool completely.
Place the cooked squash in a food processor and purée until smooth.
Transfer to a bowl and fold in the hempseed.