Winter Squash with HempNut Filling
Enjoy this scrumptious, sweet winter squash, baked to perfection and deliciously balanced with the rich, nutty flavor of hempseed.
6 to 8
About this Recipe
By: HempNut Cookbook
I cannot think of a more wonderful, special occasion side dish. Yum!
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 to 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- Sea salt
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 2 to 3 teaspoons grated zest of 1 fresh lemon
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/3 cup shelled hempseed
- 1 tablespoon hempseed oil
- 2 to 3 sprigs fresh parsley, minced
- 2 winter squash, halved and seeded (use acorn, butternut or hokkaido pumpkin)
Step by Step Instructions
Preheat the oven to 350° F.
Place small amount of olive oil in a skillet. Add the onion and garlic and place over the medium heat.
When the onion begins to sizzle, add a pinch of salt and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes.
Stir in the apple, celery and lemon zest, and season lightly with salt. Sauté for 2 to 3 minutes.
Remove from heat and stir in raisins, hempseed, hempseed oil and parsley.
Arrange squash in baking dish and spoon filling mixture evenly into the cavities of the squash.
Pour 1/2 inch of water in the dish. Cover tightly with foil and bake for 40 minutes.
Uncover and bake until the squash is quite tender and the filling is lightly browned, about 15 minutes longer.
To serve, slice the stuffed squash halves into 3 or 4 wedges. Enjoy!